With first-rate lead services insurance, NCM has provided comprehensive contracting services to owners and operators of small arms ranges, both indoors and outdoors, for over 20 years. These services for both large and small ranges have minimized environmental impact and eliminated regulatory concerns before they became big problems. Every project has had a safe and successful outcome.To minimize downtime during the lead mining process and maximize the amount of lead salvaged for recycling, NCM has developed some patented, proprietary equipment to aid in small arms range remediation. These include specialty vacuum attachments and separation devices to mine and remove the lead. We designed this methodology to return the highest recycling value to the customer, often offsetting a portion of the remediation cost. This includes soil berms as well as shredded rubber backstops.
For indoor firing ranges, we have performed assessments, management plans, decontamination, routine HVAC maintenance, and some design services. The procedures for decontamination closely follow those for asbestos (i.e., controlling hazardous dust). Some differences include decontamination of ductwork. Due to the mass of lead, contamination in ductwork is more prevalent at facilities contaminated with lead than those contaminated with asbestos. The asbestos stays airborne; the lead falls out.
An overview of NCM's gun range remediation services includes the following:
- Lead Recycling - All lead and lead-contaminated materials are recycled at EPA-permitted facilities, eliminating any future client liability.
- Soil Remediation - We offer soil treatability assessment surveys and follow-up with soil stabilization services, if required.
- Construction/Reconstruction - We are experienced in the construction of backstops for improved performance, complete baffling systems, noise abatement enhancements, and eyebrow catchers.
- Site Assessment - Our staff of professionals knows the federal, state, and local regulations, and can follow up on proper site assessment procedures.
- Range Management Consultation - Our expertise includes noise reduction, ballistic integrity, community relations, and modernization programs.
- Maintenance - Our routine maintenance programs are designed to provide a clean, safe workplace, and to decrease lead contamination liability.